Friday, March 4, 2011

Got skin problems?

I ran across this article when I pulled up my Yahoo homepage. Eat this for gorgeous skin 

Basically, without saying it, their advice is to eat low carb. Score!! I invite you to read the whole article, but here are the highlights.

~ A research study of some residents of New Guinea and Paraguay had fabulous skin. What they didn't have in their diet? "the simple carbohydrates — such as white bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and sweets — that are the basis of our modern diet. These carbs send our insulin levels soaring, and researchers speculate that this sets off a series of reactions that leads to breakouts." AKA Low Carb

~ Eat plenty of essential fatty acids. "Fish is a great source of essential fatty acids (EFAs) like omega-3 and omega-6, which reduce inflammation in the body..... EFAs are also found in almonds, hazelnuts, and flaxseed." Not specifically LC, but very common foods in a LC diet

~ Avoid these: "certain foods and beverages, such as spices, cured meats, MSG, and alcohol (particularly red wine), cause blood vessels to dilate, bringing on facial redness" Also advised in a LC diet, except maybe the spices part of it. Spices are recommended for flavor, but they often contain additives that add carbs so they should be used in moderation.

~ FATS are NOT bad for you. "If you're getting fewer than 20 grams of fat a day (roughly 2 tablespoons of oil), your skin may not be able to lubricate itself and your body may not absorb enough vitamin A, which your skin needs to prevent premature aging." Enough said.

 Now, I know many of you eat low fat and I'm not bashing here. My motto is.. whatever works. Everyone is different and you should do what you can stick to and enjoy. All I'm saying is to think about some of these facts. Try to work some of this advise into your eating plan and see what happens.

I personally love low carb because of the awesomeness of my lower blood sugars and not needing insulin and because it helped me lose weight and keep it off. The science behind it makes sense to me and it seems more natural than all the processed low fat foods. I doubt our ancestors ate low fat cream cheese and bagels.

Anyway... My skin is NOT perfect, but I can definitely tell a difference in how it looks and feels when I eat low carb and when I don't. I still get zits here and there, especially during that time of the month and if I've been picking at my face (oops!) but I don't seem to get huge breakouts like I used to. Something to consider if you're looking for something new to try. =)

2 comments:

  1. Great reminder re: lower carbs to keep blood sugars level and lower. Thanks for the link and summary!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some flaxy love!